joi, 17 ianuarie 2013


2012 Music Top
Position: 91 of 100
Artist: Lynne Hanson
Song: Different Story
Album: Things I Miss (2006)


Alternate Video Link: http://www.vplay.ro/watch/4kv3e5t7/

I discovered Lynne Hanson via the suggested artists feature on last.fm a while back. The style is pretty straight forward folk with a dash of country thrown in for flavour. She's released three albums by now, but has yet to break into the mainstream. However, this song, from her debut album has stuck with me, for the powerful image the lyrics manage to paint. This song is part of that category dear to my heart that I like to call a "Johnny Nobody Song". The imagery is vivid because it tells a story that features at least two characters spoken of in the third person and one or more acts. Probably the most famous "Johnny Nobody Song" of all time is Young Turks by Rod Stewart.

This particular song is about two people meeting in a bar to finalize their divorce. I don't know why, but something about the way Lynne tells this story just sticks to my heart. It, somehow, makes me feel sorry for all the people out there having gone, at one point or another, through something like this. 

Un comentariu: